United Way Tar River Region is hosting United WE CAN food sculpture contest. Join us on Friday, October 14, 2022 as teams construct sculptures from nonperishable canned & boxed items and fresh veggies from 3 PM to 6 PM. (spectators are welcome to watch).
This event will take place at The Power House (Rocky Mount Mills-1151 Falls Road-Rocky Mount, NC).
Judging will begin at 6 PM - 7 PM. Awards will be given at 7:15 PM.
After the event, collected items will go to United Community Ministries, A Touch of the Father’s Love, Truth Foundation Ministries, Tarboro Community Outreach and Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC. Team members MUST return by 7:15 PM to help remove any food items and supporting materials used in your creation.
'CAN'Struction Rules for Sculptures
Build any kind of structure - from the simple to the elaborate!
- Teams can build any kind of structure - it can be as simple as a logo or an elaborate design.
- The sculpture must fit within a 10' x 10' space.
- Props including signage and supporting materials may be used. However, at least 50% of the sculpture must be comprised of canned food items. Labels cannot be altered in any way.
- Canned food items can be collected from a food drive or purchased with a corporate donation.
As you are planning and constructing, please track the following:
- Number of items, for example.... 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter.
- Dollars invested.
- Number of committee/team members.
- How did you obtain the items? For example: food drive, corporate donation, employee collection, etc
We know you’re not doing this for the glory, but it’s hard work! We will celebrate the multitude of donated food for the community and recognize outstanding creations with a few awards…and bragging rights of course.
- Most Nutritious: Local nutritionists will judge sculptures as the most nutritious, based on sodium and sugar counts, organic products, etc.
- Best in Show: Judges will select the best in show based on the most creative and most food collected.
- Community Choice Award: Spectators will cast their ballots between 6 PM - 7 PM.
NOTE: Organizations are eligible for only one award (with the exception of Community Choice Award).
OPEN TO INDIVIDUALS
Community members and groups who want to make a food donation can drop off nonperishable items at The Power House on October 14, 1PM - 6PM. Monetary donations are accepted and will benefit the United Way Tar River Region "Self-Sufficiency" Impact Area.
- Register today by CLICKING HERE or email Ginny Mohrbutter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a "trial run."
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!